cncsnw

Re: Hardinge CHNC II+ Hickory LeadShine EL7 Retrofit

Post by cncsnw »

Code: Select all

M26 /X Q1
G00 X0
M26 /Z Q1
G00 Z0
Of course, if you power up the machine and run this sequence while the tool is overlapping stock in the spindle, then it will crash.

Also, if the currently active tool offsets do not match the tool that is currently in position, and there is stock in the spindle, then it could crash.

The X0 and Z0 above are relative to local part coordinates, and so will typically try to put the tool tip at spindle centerline, at the end of the stock.

It seems to me that moving to a known-safe clearance position in machine coordinates -- such as G28 -- would be a better plan.
glbreil
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by glbreil »

centroid467 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:25 pm
glbreil wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:56 am
centroid467 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:44 pm It is difficult to find information on that probe in general it seems. I found the manual for it but that is about all.

There may be some issues with lower spring stiffness causing inaccuracies when using a touch probe meant for tip down vertical use in a horizontal arrangement. We only recommend TT-2 or TT-4 for horizontal use. I am not entirely sure if that applies to the DP-1 but I can at least warn you.
It’s been a while, but as I get closer to completion I am needing to roll back around to the subject of a probe.

I was able to get lathe tool setting style contact plates for the DP-1 probe.

I am going to try it and see how it work, and I was wondering if I could get a copy of the manual you found and if it has a wiring diagram.

Thanks Gary
Hello Gary,
I thought I made a note of where I found the DP-1 manual but all I can find now are some of the individual sections of it as well as the original files for the manual drawings. I am attaching what I have found and I'll let you know if I dig up more.

From the drawing in DP1.zip and other probe cable schematics, I believe you should wire:
Pin 1 to logic ground / power supply common
Pin 2 to a DC voltage supply. Do you have any records from the previous machine that you used this probe with? From the kit documents, it seems like it used 24 volts.
Pin 3 to logic ground / power supply common
Pin 5 to Hickory TT input pin
Pin 6 to Hickory Probe/TT detect input pin
Pin 7 to terminate cable shield.
DP1_wiring.PNG

Edit: I was able to get the figure out enough to get the probe working and test it enough to make sure that the travel stops when the probe is tripped, and it appears to stop pretty within a tenth or so every time head on. I didn't have time to test it from the side, that will have to be for another day.

I also learned that the probe is not set up exactly like the diagram in the manual. The jumper between terminal 6 & 8 does not exist on the probe side. According to the diagram it would trigger the probe detect input when the probe was plugged in.

Instead there is nothing at all between terminal 6 & 8 and the detect input on the mill is looking for an open rather than a closed. The mill has a cap that has to be removed to plug in the probe, the cap has the jumper between terminal 6 & 8 to show a closed circuit to the detect input and when it is removed it thinks the probe is active even if it isn't plugged in.

I am not to excited about modifying what I have incase I want a different probe at some time, so I think I will just put a switch on the panel that provides the probe detect jumper. I am only planning to use it to set up tools.

Thanks Gary
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

Making a little progress, got the parts catcher and vertical cutoff slide working and added a couple of short videos to the photo album.

I am having a problem with the WMPG-6 hand wheel. I have noticed some others that have had similar issues where the hand wheel would only move the axis in 1X and it from what I could find it was related to a tripped probe. My hand wheel will not move the axis in any mode 1X, 10X or 100X whether the probe is plugged in or not. All other functions on the wireless pendent work. All of the buttons work and the hand wheel will even turn the spindle speed up and down. Any thoughts.

Thanks Gary

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KL88FycMxDj5WmwWA
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by lavrgs »

Have you checked to see if it is incremental mode? Mine was that way. Also the default feedrate was 1% 8-(
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

lavrgs wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:09 pm Have you checked to see if it is incremental mode? Mine was that way. Also the default feedrate was 1% 8-(
Assuming you mean the incremental button on the VCP. It jogs fine with the + & - buttons on the pendent. Not quite sure how to tell what the default feed rate is, it is set a 100*% on the VCP.

Turning the hand wheel does not move the machine at all, no matter how it is set, that I have been able to tell.
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by lavrgs »

There are a couple parameters that need to be set, also a Pro license is required.
P218 3 for lathe
P348 15
There may be other setting for setting number of clicks per rev of the knob...it's in the Centroid lathe operators guide
Looks like your report has those two set...now you need professional advice...
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Can you enable the MPG by pressing the yellow "MPG" button on the Virtual Control Panel? If you do so, does the handwheel then work to move the selected axis?

I think that maybe the only thing missing is to automatically enable the MPG when you turn the axis selector knob from "OFF" to "X" or "Y". It is probably waiting for you to turn it on using the VCP key.
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

cncsnw wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:16 am Can you enable the MPG by pressing the yellow "MPG" button on the Virtual Control Panel? If you do so, does the handwheel then work to move the selected axis?

I think that maybe the only thing missing is to automatically enable the MPG when you turn the axis selector knob from "OFF" to "X" or "Y". It is probably waiting for you to turn it on using the VCP key.
The MPG button on the VCP does not do anything when pressed. It has an indicator light in the corner and it does not change states, and it does not affect the hand wheel in any way that I can tell.

Thanks Gary
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Okay. This is probably an omission in my Hickory/CHNC program. I think there is a circular dependency between enabling the MPG with the axis-select knob, and enabling it with the VCP MPG key.

This issue would be unique to Gary's program for this project, and not generally representative of Centroid WMPG-6 support.
glbreil

Post by glbreil »

Thanks Marc for the help the MPG is working perfectly now!