Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Hardinge CHNC4 Retrofit

Post by lavrgs »

The coolant system is one area I haven't addressed yet. I see the pump and coolant tank. I will try to determine if there is old coolant that needs to be purged. After that I will review the wiring diagram that I just received to see what I can do to start the pump. Would it be as simple as activating the contactor?
lavrgs
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by lavrgs »

I was able to activate the coolant pump - didn't run it long because there is too much stuff stored inside the enclosure...9-)
I was going to check the coolant first, but that's next...EDIT There is coolant in the 30 gallon tank but the pump might suck air. I don't know what in there, would be best to purge and start over.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

I am not sure how to bench test an intact machine... I don't want to remove servos limit switches etc. What do I need to consider for start up? Might as well think about while I have some time before the AlLin1DC arrives.

I bought a 16C collet to see if I could fit it into the spindle - success! The 16C-5C adapter that came with the tooling had problems that didn't let me thread it onto the drawbar.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If you are missing the compact flash card (hard drive) containing the operating system and software, then any kind of startup test is not going to be an option.

If you just want to see/hear the axes move, you could disconnect the servo motor power leads from the SERVO1 drive and hold them to a car battery (or battery charger) to apply 12V to the motors. Take care that you do not run an axis into its end stops, since of course limit switches are out of the picture during this kind of test.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

You can replace the missing computer power supply with any ATX or SFX (micro-ATX) supply.

I can provide a compact flash card with Linux and CNC10 v2.72, plus report files from a similar machine, for $320.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:54 pm If you are missing the compact flash card (hard drive) containing the operating system and software, then any kind of startup test is not going to be an option.
I have already ordered a new control. I will be offering some items for sale. It is my understanding that the servo1 board will need to be returned
I hooked up a power supply to the old computer and it's DEAD 9-). There is a card in it I will remove - I think it pairs up with/communicated to the PLCIO2
Spindle motor and axis drives and coolant pump has been tested. That was required prior to ordering the new control.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Typically, it is only the CPU10 board from inside the computer that needs to be returned, in order to receive a discount on the software licenses for the new control kit.
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... luWXY1TU5nTurret spins...but I hear a massive leak sounds like from somewhere under the plate
Ordered a manual from Ozark
lavrgs

Post by lavrgs »

Today I will take a look at encoder cables...I assume that the multi pin connector for the Servo1 would also be required for the Allin1DC. Because all the cables were cut I will see if I have enough length on the Motor side to reposition the control cabinet on the rear of the machine. In the worst case I could splice them together but I will also investigate running new cables. What is the recommended cable ; do servo and spindle use the same type?
centroid467
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC12: No

Post by centroid467 »

If you'll pardon the web store links, we sell the same cable we use in our pre-wired assemblies and connector kits so you can build them to length. Servo and spindle encoders will be fine using the same cable type as long as the conductors physically fit the components.
Encoder cable: https://shopcentroidcnc.com/shop/cnc-ac ... der-cable/
Motor power cable: https://shopcentroidcnc.com/shop/cnc-ac ... wer-cable/
Connector kit: https://shopcentroidcnc.com/shop/cnc-ac ... ector-kit/