CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Can't get a machine to home

Post by New_guy »

I have a cnc10 m400 when I first power up, I get this screen
IMG_20230817_203951_095.jpg
I tried system test like this video says

And I got this message and it doesn't set the machine home. Another issue I suspect is symptom of not being homed, When I manually jog the machine to the limits, it gives a limit trip message (see pic below) on the main screen and the machine stops moving. I read you have to have it in slow to move off of limits, but I have tried every combination of feedrates and nothing happens. I have to hit the e-stop, open the belt cover and manually move the axis off the limit switch.
And if I try to run cnc10.hom it hits the limit and stops dead as well
IMG_20230823_155008_707.jpg
IMG_20230823_154942_581.jpg
I can't find anything on Google or this forum. Any advice?

Also, I read the posting rules and it says to post pictures, so here are some pictures.
IMG_20230823_213752_223.jpg
IMG_20230823_213711_151.jpg
IMG_20230823_213632_736.jpg
IMG_20230823_213905_902.jpg
IMG_20230823_213719_018.jpg
IMG_20230823_213220_073.jpg
IMG_20230823_213546_316.jpg
cncsnw

Re: Can't get a machine to home

Post by cncsnw »

The system test requires the subprograms and macros feature set, which was an extra-cost option in software versions prior to v2.68 (and again in CNC12 v4.16 and newer). That was usually not an issue, because the system test was usually needed only during a new install, while the initial time-limited demo code was still in effect.

Contact Centroid tech support; e-mail them a Report from your system; and request a demo code. Then you will be able to run the system test.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Also post a Report here, if you want advice regarding the homing procedure.

From your pictures, it is apparent that your system does not home to limit switches, but it is impossible to tell what homing method you have selected.
New_guy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 21063
DC3IOB: No

Post by New_guy »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:31 am Also post a Report here, if you want advice regarding the homing procedure.

From your pictures, it is apparent that your system does not home to limit switches, but it is impossible to tell what homing method you have selected.
Thank you for looking at this. Here is the report.
report.zip
(53.05 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Your machine is evidently configured for Jog to Home. I.e. it does not use the switches at all: you are just expected to jog to a consistent location, then press Cycle Start to set Machine Home there. If you are lucky, whoever set it up that way put reference marks (e.g. pointers) on the machine that you can line up to.

Given that it was never set up to home using switches, it is possible that the switches are not even configured correctly. That is not uncommon with an amateur install of a DC-servo system.

Notably, you have direction reversal set on the X axis (so positive motor/encoder movement is negative axis coordinate movement); but the limit and home switch input numbers have not been reversed to match. When direction reversal is set for the X axis on a DC3IO system, the X- limit switch must be wired to INP2; the X+ limit switch must be wired to INP1; and the limit and home switch numbers on the Machine Configuration -> Motor Parameters table must be swapped so they read 2 1 2 1 instead of 1 2 1 2.

That is why you are unable to jog the X axis off of the tripped limit switch.

Once you have fixed your X axis limit switch wiring and setup, and supposing that Y and Z are correct, then you can probably change over to use automatic (home switch) homing instead of "jog" homing. If you do, you will need to change your software travel limit numbers on the Machine Configuration -> Jog Parameters table to reflect that home is at one end of each axis, rather than mid-travel.

The System Test generally requires that at least one axis be configured to home to switches. With "jog" homing, there is nothing for the system test to test.
New_guy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 21063
DC3IOB: No

Post by New_guy »

cncsnw wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:37 pm Your machine is evidently configured for Jog to Home. I.e. it does not use the switches at all: you are just expected to jog to a consistent location, then press Cycle Start to set Machine Home there. If you are lucky, whoever set it up that way put reference marks (e.g. pointers) on the machine that you can line up to.

Given that it was never set up to home using switches, it is possible that the switches are not even configured correctly. That is not uncommon with an amateur install of a DC-servo system.

Notably, you have direction reversal set on the X axis (so positive motor/encoder movement is negative axis coordinate movement); but the limit and home switch input numbers have not been reversed to match. When direction reversal is set for the X axis on a DC3IO system, the X- limit switch must be wired to INP2; the X+ limit switch must be wired to INP1; and the limit and home switch numbers on the Machine Configuration -> Motor Parameters table must be swapped so they read 2 1 2 1 instead of 1 2 1 2.

That is why you are unable to jog the X axis off of the tripped limit switch.

Once you have fixed your X axis limit switch wiring and setup, and supposing that Y and Z are correct, then you can probably change over to use automatic (home switch) homing instead of "jog" homing. If you do, you will need to change your software travel limit numbers on the Machine Configuration -> Jog Parameters table to reflect that home is at one end of each axis, rather than mid-travel.

The System Test generally requires that at least one axis be configured to home to switches. With "jog" homing, there is nothing for the system test to test.
Thank you. Looks like I have a project for this weekend. :D :D