Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 21063
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Questions about power source

Post by New_guy »

I just bought a Lagunmatic CNC with a Centroid M400 system. I am trying to figure out how to power it. The operators video said you can use 220 single phase to power it by hooking up L2 and L3. I was an industrial mechanic for years and went back to school and got my engineering degree, so I am familiar with all this. The question I have is, in the video it says there is a sticker for the voltage that the control cabinet uses, and shows a 220v cabinet. But mine says 120v but has 3 phase wiring across the main disconnect. The video also says that you need 3 phase for the spindle, but the spindle is controlled through the contactors and they get their main power through the main disconnect. I am using a 15hp vfd to run my 3 phase tools.So can I wire everything up with 2 different circuits, the contactors can be supplied with 240 3p from my vfd and the control circuits can be powered by another 120v circuit from a separate outlet?
New_guy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Re: Questions about power source

Post by New_guy »

Just a quick edit, I know that 240 single phase is 120 to ground, and I could take a single line off my input to my vfd, or just hook up another circuit entirely. I think I would want to hook up another circuit as I would be afraid the VFD would produce too much line noise and screw with my electronics.

Another edit, tracing the wires, I looks like they go from main disconnect, to the contactors, then out to the spindle motor, so I don't think this machine has spindle control other than off/on. I'm not even sure it has directional control, unless it's done at the contactor

3rd edit: I can't just run 3 phase with a vfd through a contactor, the inrush current trips out the VFD. So I would need to wire the contactor control circuit to the VFD to start the motor and then start it with the VFD.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Centroid provided cabinets wired in a variety of ways, so without a picture of your disconnect and main fuses, all is speculation.

I would speculate that you have the most common (read: least expensive) configuration, which used two separate service cords: one 240VAC 3-phase service to power the spindle motor and (optionally) flood coolant pump; and a second 120VAC single-phase service to power the computer and servo drive.

Yes, if you want to use a VFD to provide power to the spindle, you can remove the reversing contactor set and use the Centroid PLC outputs to send run-forward and run-reverse commands to the VFD.
New_guy
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No

Post by New_guy »

cncsnw wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:24 am Centroid provided cabinets wired in a variety of ways, so without a picture of your disconnect and main fuses, all is speculation.

I would speculate that you have the most common (read: least expensive) configuration, which used two separate service cords: one 240VAC 3-phase service to power the spindle motor and (optionally) flood coolant pump; and a second 120VAC single-phase service to power the computer and servo drive.

Yes, if you want to use a VFD to provide power to the spindle, you can remove the reversing contactor set and use the Centroid PLC outputs to send run-forward and run-reverse commands to the VFD.
Thank you for the feedback. Here are the pictures. Since I didn't have a picture of the disconnect, I know it is the same as in the training video, so I took a screenshot of that.
Screenshot 2023-07-26 093849.png
. The only difference is that they tap off of L1 to power the 120v circuit instead of having a dedicated stand alone cord feeding the 120v circuit, but that is trivial to run another cord with 120v to power the circuit.
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

The only difference is that they tap off of L1 to power the 120v circuit instead of having a dedicated stand alone cord feeding the 120v circuit, but that is trivial to run another cord with 120v to power the circuit.
Yours would not have come from the factory that way. That would require a five-wire service cord (3 phases, neutral, and ground).

The disconnect in your screenshot is of a system with two service cords. The 120VAC single-phase cord goes through the two auxiliary contacts on the right side of the switch, while the 240VAC 3-phase goes through the main poles.