Riley
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

**RESOLVED** Copley amps

Post by Riley »

Hello...I'm going to try to use some older Copley 306 servo amps and was wondering if anyone had a wiring diagram for enabling these from the GPI04D. The amplifier says to ground ENABLE, POS ENABLE, NEG ENABLE to the amplifier logic ground. I'm sure this is a pretty basic question for some of you. I have a fair understanding of wiring but am new to motion control....really don't want to let the smoke out of anything! Riley
cncsnw

Re: Copley amps

Post by cncsnw »

I don't know anything specifically about Copley, but this sounds like a typical setup for third-party DC drives (e.g. AMC, Aerotech, etc.): a general ENABLE to allow the drive to operate at all, and directional enables that can be wired through limit switches. Pull-down-to-enable is what you want in all three cases.

You should be able to use the Enable output from the GPIO4D to pull down the general ENABLE as needed.

As long as you match operating voltage (install the correct SIPs) and connect the common (minus) side of your I/O power supply to the drive's logic common, then you can probably connect your limit switches in parallel, both to the directional enables on the drive and to the PLC input points on the GPIO4D.
Riley

Post by Riley »

Thanks for thr reply. I think I understand what you're saying. I should not have to use the pos enable and neg enable, just the general enable to bring the drive online and let the analog outputs control the drive direction. Am I getting warmer? Riley
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

If I were building it, I would tie the directional enables to the limit switches, so that tripping a limit inhibits drive output in that direction.
Riley

Post by Riley »

True... that makes good sense. I appreciate your reply, the light bulb is starting to get slightly brighter! Thanks again. Riley