Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Setting Up Allin1DC on an older 2axis Prototrak Mill

Post by apm »

I just renamed the topic here to make it more relevant. I guess this will turn into a slower build blog as I only get to work on things a few nights a week.

I am just getting my Centroid Retrofit of an old 2axis prototrak mill up and running and have ran into an issue. To the best of my knowledge, I think this is the root of a lot of my other intermittent issues but I am not sure if I have a few things going on.
It tells me there's a duplicate encoder reference but I think I have everything setup for a 2 axis mill just like the installation manual calls out. See images below;

duplicate encoder ref.PNG
duplicate encoder ref2.PNG
motor setup.PNG
parms300.PNG
I was able to go and use these parameters and it worked sometimes and then it just didn't work other times. I got the motor ratio in as 13.068 and my motion was matching the table within about 0.002" over a 0.100" movement so I thought it was pretty good. Then the machine tossed a 410 error so I had to restart everything and next time around I moved the X axis about 8.375" and it is showing up as 109.6133. How it worked just right on one go around and seemed to be fine and then on another go around it didn't?

I am not sure if the 2 are tied together but I also seem to get some 410 encoder position errors from time to time which can't be cleared without cycling power to the controller. This despite the fact that the encoder works most of the time and all seems good in diagnostics mode.

Lastly I also see the 412 MPG1 pop up from time to time, but I don't have the MPG nor an encoder for it on this machine.

I am wondering if I have multiple problems or if they're all kind of tied together. How sometimes it works and others it doesn't makes me wonder what's really going on behind the scenes? It almost makes me wonder if something is getting overwritten somehow from time to time?

Thanks for the help

Adam
Last edited by apm on Wed May 08, 2024 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eng199
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Duplicate encoder Reference in Machine Parameters?

Post by eng199 »

Do you have scale feedback? Like the following in addition to motor feedback?
https://www.zoro.com/static/cms/product ... d605b.jpeg

If not, you should not be modifying anything in the scale menu. If so, get everything working without the scales first.
apm
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by apm »

eng199 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:42 am Do you have scale feedback? Like the following in addition to motor feedback?
https://www.zoro.com/static/cms/product ... d605b.jpeg

If not, you should not be modifying anything in the scale menu. If so, get everything working without the scales first.
No just the encoder, I have no scales. So would that explain all the problems I am describing? It kind of feels like I have 2 things trying to do the same thing at the same time as sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. So I am assuming that if I just change the enabled back to N on the scale settings it will work off the motor scaling right?

Thanks,

Adam
eng199

Post by eng199 »

I would set everything to default. At least "Input" to 0 and "Enabled" to N.
apm

Post by apm »

Thanks, this solved the first issue. I am still seeing 412 MPG encoder error but I don't have the mpg do I need to disable that? I plan to play more tomorrow night.

Maybe I should call this a commissioning thread out maybe I should start another topic, but one other nuisance to work thru eventually, the servos work fine on my 115v wired just like the schematic but when speeds get up there I trip the GFCI. The shop is in the garage so everything's on GFCI outlets. Is this common to the AllinOne DC or a sign of a bigger issue in my wiring?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

Set Parameter 348 = 0.
eng199

Post by eng199 »

apm wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:32 pm the servos work fine on my 115v wired just like the schematic but when speeds get up there I trip the GFCI.
I haven't heard of that happening before with ALLIN1DC. However, it is easy to believe that large motors running could cause enough noise to fool a GFCI.

Here is an article about GFCI with VFDs:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 29A6lgyLpS
tblough
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

If you hardwire your machine, then it does not have to be on a GFCI circuit.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
apm

Post by apm »

Well played with it some more last night. The building codes in my area require GFCI's in the garage on all outlets. I have a subpanel out there with space, I guess I will just add 1 non GFCI mill only outlet and not tell anyone. Running the mill off an extension cord into a non GFCI outlet in the house solved my issues with tripping the outlet.

I started tuning everything. Right now, on a 12"long gauge block mounted to the table I am repeating position within about 0.003". I may toss in the towel and figure this is good enough. Even though the machine is ball screws, I am wondering if there's any backlash to compensate out of the system. Perhaps in time it may be neat to add a 2ndary set of scales.

The only other thing is knowing when to give in on the tuning. When the machine stops on a point I still hear a bit of humming out of my motors. Is this to be expected? There doesn't really seem to be much noticeable movement though I haven't stopped to try measuring it yet.

What gets rid of the hum? Will adding a little more "I" on the PID help? This is my first time tuning with the Centroid system but usually my experience tuning primarily pressure controls for a living, is "P" gets you there faster, "I" removes the bounce, and "D" is usually more effort than it is worth.

Funny thing is somewhere here posted a good set of PID parameters when my motors were previously behaving erratically and I tossed those in and the thing was perfect. Maybe I will post those values later.
glbreil
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: Yes

Re: Setting Up Allin1DC on an older 2axis Prototrak Mill

Post by glbreil »

If you are dead set on having a GFI receptacle, they make a VFD grade. Try a Legrand 2097TRAPLW. It will probably work for you if the noise is causing your trips.

Gary