Moderator: cnckeith

GlennLee
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: C178774 (From label on OAK board assembly)
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Dumb question: Home switch placement

Post by GlennLee »

Hi, All.
I've built a 3-axis router. A gantry holds the Y and Z-axes, and the water-cooled spindle. The X-axis moves the gantry left and right.

I placed my home switches for the axes as follows:
X-axis : Far left corner of the table base.
Y-axis : At front of gantry near operator
Z-axis : At the full-up position.

My thinking is that all X and Y-axis movements would always be positive (away from HOME). I know the Z-axis movement is always negative.

When reading the manual about HOMING, it states it retracts the Z-axis, then the X-axis negative, but the Y-axis POSITIVE. I thought it would/should be negative.

Also, when the axes home, the DRO values do NOT zero. What parameter do I need to change to get the DRO to zero the values at HOME?

I've attached the report.zip file. I' using an OAK CNC controller with Sureservo2 CNC motors and amplifiers. I'm using a Windows 11 all-in-one I bought from Centroid. I've included a screenshot of the system ID. The serial number is C178774
Attachments
IMG_3082[1].JPG
report_0008DC111213-1103231516_2024-05-26_16-35-28.zip
(777.27 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
cncsnw

Re: Question: Home switch placement

Post by cncsnw »

Homing Y positive is the default, because that is preferable on most milling machines.

You do not have to use the default. You can set your homing directions to whatever you want.

The direction any given axis homes (and the order in which the axes home) is determined by the instructions in the cncm.hom file.

If you do not already have a cncm.hom file in place, then CNC12 will write out a default one the first time you tell the machine to find its own home. Then you can edit the file to suit your preferences.

The software travel limits you enter on the Machine Configuration -> Jog Parameters table should reflect the homing directions you choose in the cncm.hom file. If you home Y minus (using M91/Y), then you will need to have a positive software travel limit value for the Y axis (and not a negative one).