Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

CNC12 v4.14 upgrade advice

Post by Samandkimberly »

I have a Fryer 3 axis mill I equipped with an All-in-One control just before CNC 12 v4.14 came out. I also have a wireless pendant, just in case that matters. I started it up with 4.14, and it’s been working fine for me, though I haven’t used it much at all in the past few years. Recently, however I wanted to do a project requiring a dxf import; my version of cnc 12 doesn’t appear to support that. So I’m back here looking at updates, and I see there is a substantial update, along with a cost. If I understand correctly I can:

- Upgrade to v4.2 “free” and get DXF, but lose some of the functionality of 4.14. I don’t think I’d miss much of it, but 20 blocks of Intercon seems small, though I’m not 100% sure what constitutes a block.

- Pay a one time cost of 299 to upgrade to “pro”, giving me pretty much what I have, plus DXF.

Are these my only two options? Are there performance improvements a hobby machinist like me might notice by paying for the upgrade? And, can I upgrade to “pro” further down the line for 299, or do I only get that opportunity this one time?

Thanks for any input,

Sam
Samandkimberly
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: CNC12 v4.14 upgrade advice

Post by Samandkimberly »

I think I figured out most of this on my own. There is no easy way to import DXFs into 4.14, and I need to update to 4.2 pro to keep the other functionality I have. No big problem for me just keeping what I have for now - it works, and I can farm out my current DXF project to SendCutSend for less than it would have cost me to make anyway.

Eventually, though, I do want this capability, and don’t really have an issue to pay $299 to get me into the latest software in case I need support/upgrades in the future. One further question, though: should I just jump right to the latest v5? Any reason I shouldn’t?

Thanks,

Sam
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: CNC12 v4.14 upgrade advice

Post by cnckeith »

Yes, just go straight to the latest version
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html