Guide on how to measure Tool Heights and set WCS Z0 on a Router or Mill with none-fixed Tool Holders most efficiently

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

swissi
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 985DADEB24D5-0309180716
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Guide on how to measure Tool Heights and set WCS Z0 on a Router or Mill with none-fixed Tool Holders most efficientl

Post by swissi »

Sword wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 pm One last thing and I'll leave ya alone. ;)

The two config screens for the tool setter are not doing something right. Have to close window by way of right clicking the taskbar to get out. These are full screen snips.
OK got it. The way the ProbeApp positions the config screen at the moment, the top of the windows can actually move outside the screen which is a problem :-). I have fixed that already but one problem remains: The Config screen is actually taller than the 768 pixels you have and I'll have to look into that if there's an easy fix.

-swissi
If you are using Fusion 360, check out my CNC12 specific Post Processor
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Contact me at swissi2000@gmail.com
slodat
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Re: Guide on how to measure Tool Heights and set WCS Z0 on a Router or Mill with none-fixed Tool Holders most efficientl

Post by slodat »

I use the Asus 1366 x 768 touchscreen on my machines as well. They fit original enclosures on retrofits quite well.
swissi

Post by swissi »

slodat wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:26 am I use the Asus 1366 x 768 touchscreen on my machines as well. They fit original enclosures on retrofits quite well.
OK I could squeeze the Configuration page to make it fit on a 1366 x 768 screen.

Here's the Version 1.2 Beta 2 (removed. Check this thread for the latest version)

Check the Update Instructions on how to Update the ProbeApp. The Configuration Settings of the old version will be kept.

Please report back if everything works now as expected and I'll make this the official version 1.2

-swissi
Last edited by swissi on Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are using a Touch Probe, Tool Touch Off Device or a Triple Corner Finder Plate, check out my ProbeApp

Sword
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
CNC12: Yes

Post by Sword »

Looks and works great on my end swissi, nail it down! 8-)

Scott
Scott
swissi

Post by swissi »

Thanks Scott for the feedback.

The official ProbeApp version 1.2 has been posted HERE

The Tool Setter Section of the ProbeApp User Guide has been updated to reflect the changes.

-swissi

afeathers1
CNC Control System Serial Number: 4C3FD33AD511-1219192748

Post by afeathers1 »

Swissi,

This looks amazing. I'm in the process of setting it up right now.

Forgive me as I'm trying to wrap my head around the range of functionality. I have only a fixed probe. I'm unsure what the workflow would look like if I desired to set the initial Z0 manually (via shimming) and then immediately run the reference height offset measurement cycle. It seems as though if you elect (via menu) to set Z0 manually, it will not subsequently measure the reference height offset, but will instead simply begin the cycle.

It also seems that if you elect to run the "probe Z0 and reference height" cycle, it will automatically jog Z down looking for a moveable TT probe (which I do not have, this will crash the machine)

It's likely you've thought of this, and I am misunderstanding your instructions. Please let me know if there's any of your documentation I should read more carefully.

Thanks and regards,

- Austin
swissi

Post by swissi »

afeathers1 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:10 pm ...It's likely you've thought of this, and I am misunderstanding your instructions. Please let me know if there's any of your documentation I should read more carefully.
The Tool Setter Cycle supports the following combinations:
  • Single movable Tool Touch Off Device (TT) Method: A movable TT or Tripe Corner Finder Plate on top of the workpiece is used to measure each Tool
  • Double Tool Touch Off Device (TT) Method: Next to the obvious combination of a moveable and fixed TT device, this method also works with a single movable TT that acts also as a fixed TT by being placed on a fixed position. Also a combination of a fixed TT and a Touch Probe in the Spindle is supported. Of course the movable TT could also be a Triple Corner Finder Plate.
  • Manual Tool Touch Off for all tools
The method you are using by touching off the tool manually on top of the workpiece to set WCS Z0 and then use just one fixed TT for subsequent tool changes is not directly supported currently. The only thing that would work is when you determine the Reference Height Offset also manually and then enter that amount into the Reference Height Offset field in the Tool Setter to be used for the subsequent tool changes.

I would need to check what the best way would be to implement this option but before I do that I would really like to know why you are setting WCS Z0 manually and not with a movable TT or a Triple Corner Finder Plate. A simple movable TT is available for just a couple of bucks.

-swissi

swissi

Post by swissi »

ProbeApp V2.0 has been released which now has improved support for the Dual Probe Method when using the combination of a Touch Probe and a fixed Tool Setter. I have updated the instructions and screen shots on the first post of this thread.

For all the other new features of ProbeApp V2 check out this post or the updated ProbeApp User Guide.

-swissi

Maker1970

Post by Maker1970 »

report_3403DE5F5844-0325191812_2021-01-23_12-57-44.zip
(653.65 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

This may be a stupid question, but here it goes. How do I set up parameter 11 to use the correct input"6" which I have a tool setter wired to as my fixed tt. I have combed through all sorts of reading and it is not obvious to me. This is the standard chinese tool setter with the four wire config. NC with a detection circuit I think. It works on the input screen. Input 6, green until tripped then turns red.

Any help would be awesome. I think that I just think harder about things than I should some times.
Maker1970

"You lie to your friends, and I'll lie to mine. Let's not lie to each other"