Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: stepper motors on all axis are very loud, rough sounding

Post by martyscncgarage »

Are you sure the turns ratios are correct? Rack and pinion system?

1 X 0.8698 2000 0.0000 0 0 1 0 Y N
2 Y 0.8698 2000 0.0000 0 0 1 0 N N
3 Z 2.0000 2000 0.0050 0 0 0 1 Y N

Is the G540 wired with a DB25 straight through cable?
Is the charge pump turned off on G540? (The G540 uses a charge pump signal on Acorn output 3. You changed it to MIST. That's not right if you are using the DB25 cable from Acorn to G540)
Are all your inputs and outputs still connected to G540?
Are you using a DB25 wired straight through cable?

Please take a picture of your control cabinet and wiring.

This is why we ask for photos of everything in this post. We can't "SEE" what you see. With out all the information, we are making assumptions.
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043

Here it is in a nutshell.
Wire G540 per the attached schematic as drive only.

Get a DB25 straight through cable. Plug it in from Acorn's DB25 to the G540. If you switched off the CHARGE PUMP on G540 off, turn its switch back on.
Wire any other outputs like MIST etc. to other outputs OTHER than Output 3 (For G540 the CHARGE PUMP SIGNAL MUST come from output 3 in order to be output on the correct DB25 pin from Acorn's DB25 to Gecko Drive's charge pump input pin.)

At the very least, change OUTPUT3 in the Wizard back to Charge pump.
Really, I would check the Reset Configuration Radio button, write those settings and start over and check the G540 Drive only radio button, and re-enter your settings from the screen shots. With the exception of Output 3, leave it alone at Charge Pump and make sure you move the charge pump switch back to on. Leave it that way.

Take photos of your wiring and control cabinet and post them.

We'll try and get you there. I've done a NUMBER of G540's never had the proble you are having.

Marty
Attachments
S14979-ACORN_rev4_GECKO_G540_AS_STEPPER_DRIVE_ONLY.pdf
(202.14 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

my G540 runs good at 100,000 steps per second. change your settings from 200k to 100k.
my G540 runs good with no inversions in the advanced tab.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
martyscncgarage

Where are you at with this?
Could you take a picture of your G540 wired to the Acorn and your control wiring?

The G540 with the DB25 straight through cable is one of the easiest drives to hook up to Acorn.
I'd really like to know what comes of this.

Marty
Mesa, AZ
Redshift.cnc
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: C122391
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Redshift.cnc »

martyscncgarage wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:38 pm Where are you at with this?
Could you take a picture of your G540 wired to the Acorn and your control wiring?

The G540 with the DB25 straight through cable is one of the easiest drives to hook up to Acorn.

Marty
Sorry I havent had a chance to work on it lately. I work a weird rotating schedule up here in alaska so only get to do it on my days off. I will take a pic and post it soon. I have a DB25 cable hooked straight from the acorn board to the g540. Last time I was tinkering with it, it was still not running smoothly and running rough. Thought about just hooking the smooth stepper and mach3 back up cause Im turning down orders. But I hate mach3. Lol gotta get this going good
martyscncgarage

Redshift.cnc wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:07 am

Marty
Sorry I havent had a chance to work on it lately. I work a weird rotating schedule up here in alaska so only get to do it on my days off. I will take a pic and post it soon. I have a DB25 cable hooked straight from the acorn board to the g540. Last time I was tinkering with it, it was still not running smoothly and running rough. Thought about just hooking the smooth stepper and mach3 back up cause Im turning down orders. But I hate mach3. Lol gotta get this going good
Nothing wrong with hooking back up to Mach and Smoothstepper....
Your issue is a headscratcher. G540 is one of the easiest to setup....in my opinion.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Redshift.cnc

Post by Redshift.cnc »

cnckeith wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:13 pm my G540 runs good at 100,000 steps per second. change your settings from 200k to 100k.
my G540 runs good with no inversions in the advanced tab.
Thanks Keith. I will try that again. I tried it once already and no change. I have the next few days off and will get back to tinkering on this. I did disconnect all my wiring and am starting from scratch to make sure I am doing it right.
Redshift.cnc

Post by Redshift.cnc »

martyscncgarage wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:51 pm
Redshift.cnc wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:07 am

Marty
Nothing wrong with hooking back up to Mach and Smoothstepper....
Your issue is a headscratcher. G540 is one of the easiest to setup....in my opinion.
Marty
Yeah. I really dont want to do that though. Im switching because I dont like it. Lol. Kept haveing seemingly random issues with mach. I ran it for several years and it worked but occasionally it would just do some random movment that I didnt understand and would ruin my project. Im sure there may have been something I didnt do right but with that and no real support Im pretty done with it. Seems like everyone likes cnc12 so am giving it a try. Only trying to use my old steppers and g540 at the moment to try to save a little. Eventually plan on doing closed loop with it. Just need to figure this Out. Should run better than it does. Thanks for your input. And sorry for the slow delays. I work a weord schedule up here
Redshift.cnc

Post by Redshift.cnc »

Heres a few pic of my wiring box as requested. Its a little messy but as far as I can tell everything is hooked up correctly. I recently unhooked everything and started over from scratch.
I have correct motion, can run a program and the homing switches work no problem. Still just really rough sounding and definitely running slower than it was on mach3. Moving the axis independently seems ok but soon as I run a program they sound very rough. Could be Mostly the x axis with its paired motor. Ill post more pics of my machine later. going to try order some closed loop steppers soon to try.
Attachments
C2F6D593-592D-4A1D-A08F-B889EA300AB3.jpeg
10384570-7176-43F1-8F6D-B4F4D3FDDC9E.jpeg
0DC85EA5-031A-4C8F-8EF3-463D9DB88BF9.jpeg
1EF47525-45AD-448D-BEFE-350EAB3BC040.jpeg
B6C1C6DA-0FC4-4182-8E03-E8C7FF8406B9.jpeg
738EC047-F197-49BE-8C7B-CD2964DE7E11.jpeg
AEC34B5D-35C5-4BAC-92A8-6ED171E16720.jpeg
D17B6C1B-B286-415C-96D0-B3A259E5F485.jpeg
8E7D58BD-3C25-44F7-906A-3F7EFB76C545.jpeg
4BE923A1-94F5-45A7-9A4F-423E35C33FAA.jpeg
martyscncgarage

I am out of ideas for you other than to try different motors.
Incidentally, I believe you are putting to much voltage to those motors
Your motor model number is:57BYGH633
Here is a link to the datasheet: http://www.promoco-motors.com/products/ ... Series.pdf

If you follow section 6 of Geckodrive's Step Motor Basics Guide: https://www.geckodrive.com/support/step ... asics.html
Specifically this paragraph:
"The voltage of your power supply is entirely dependent on the inductance rating of your motor, which we learned is translatable to the number of turns of wire in the stator. Every motor model will have a different inductance rating and will therefore have a different maximum voltage. To figure out what the maximum power supply voltage should be, use the following formula with the motor’s inductance in millihenries (mH) used for the L value.

32 * SQRT (L) = VMAX

If you are using several different models of motors on the same power supply use the lowest inductance rating in the above formula. This will ensure that your motors will not overheat due to the voltage being too high."

You take the inductance of your particular motor: 1.6
Take the square root of 1.6= 1.264911064067352
Per the equation, you multiply that by 32= 40.47715405015526

So your max power supply voltage should be about 40. 36 Volts would work best here.

As soon as I learned about this equation, it helped me greatly to choose the correct stepper motors.
Since most times I was upgrading an existing machine, I would find out what the stepper motor torque specs were.
Then I would look at stepper motors with similar or just a little higher torque specs.
THEN I would look at the motor's inductance rating and size the power supply. I usually stick around 48VDC power supply so I look for a motor with the desired holding torque with an inductance rating around 2.5. Square root of 2.5= 1.58113883008419‬ * 32= about 50.5 volts.
I stick closely to the inductance rating for the desired power supply voltage.

I've had good luck that way.

To me, you are 8 volts too high on your power supply.

I can not answer why they work with Mach and not Acorn, doesn't make sense to me.
I think I would find another stepper to test at this point.
cnc4pc.com has a good selection. But size it correctly.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
Redshift.cnc

Post by Redshift.cnc »

Thanks Marty. I will look into getting some new steppers for this 48v power supply. It just doesn't make sense to me that I have been using these steppers with this power supply and g540 for the last 6 years using mach3. Only thing I changed was converting to acorn really. Unless somehow something happened in my gecko drive? Idk.
I will be switching over to a closed loop stepper at some point so hoping that works better. I will definitely select them based on that formula when i do select them. Ive been looking at stepperonlines offerings.
i will try some different steppers in the mean time see how that works.
Today I am doing some test cuts and trying some programs with it the way it is for now. They are just rough and loud sounding still.
Thanks again for your time and patience. I really appreciate it.