cnckeith
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Who is up and running on CNC12 4.14?

Post by cnckeith »

maker1970,
hello! thanks for posting! share with us the details of your machine, what axis motors and drives are you using? and some photos, would love to see what a wood cnc machine looks like.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Maker1970
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Post by Maker1970 »

Well it's not pretty but it does a lot of work. It cuts out all of my cabinet parts and does carvings when I ask it too. Chinese steppers, and drives, now with 1200 oz nema 34's on the long x. Single 420 oz nema 23 on the y and z. 8 inches of travel on the z, 54 on the y and 96 on the x. Surprisingly rigid for what it is. All I can run it at about 120 inches a minute and full plunge with a 1/4 compression bit through 3/4 plywood. That's asking alot from a mostly wood z axis. More importantly I have only about 5k into it with updates today and it is dead nuts accurate.
20190410_151812.jpg
20190410_151754.jpg
20190410_151740.jpg
20190410_151733.jpg
20190410_151812.jpg
Attachments
20190410_151758.jpg
Maker1970

"You lie to your friends, and I'll lie to mine. Let's not lie to each other"
bmilam

Post by bmilam »

I have been putting off upgrading because I am very new and the machine was running fine so didn't want to create an issue. It was a pretty painless upgrade and I really like the new version better. Upgrading made me learn a few more things in the program that I didn't know how to do yet.

It is a pretty basic Chinese 4X8 machine with steppers. So far it is running perfectly.
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

thanks for reporting back!
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
ArtG

Post by ArtG »

I have a new installation on a fairly new CNC Router. I had been running Mach4 and finally got frustrated with the jumps while cutting parts. Please note this is a fairly new machine, that started as an Open Builds OX. I started some upgrades and eventually built a new CNC. It is using 600oz. inch NEMA 23 steppers from Corvetteguy on YouTube. Noisey but they are good. Ball Screw transmission with HiWinn linear rail. My motor drive is a Gecko G540 that use to connect to a Win7 32-bit computer. the Y axis has 2 steppers so the A axis is always paired with Y.

I am using an older Dell I5 desktop computer that came off lease and was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I had installed and partially configured Acorn 12CNC but never connected to the CNC as I had to make a larger enclosure for the controls with the addition of the Acorn board. I had made some senior moments setting up the computer (Auto Windows update, and configuring the ethernet port) installing the AcornCNC software, and decided that if I haven't connected it to the CNC to start from scratch. I uninstalled and deleted the CNCM directory, restarted the computer and installed Centroid CNC12 4.14

I noticed that while the install went fine, I do not recall that the Acorn board bios was updated.
Is there a way to tell if I have the correct bios version?

I am now into setting the motors and discovered that specific event un-pair the Y axis.
I will be going through my setup and configuration again this weekend, but I am noticing some very erratic behavior.

While setting up the overall turns ratio, I found that every time I went enter MDI code that my system un-paired the Y axis.
I have included the log file that is shown on the screen. There is an error
msg_cnt.txt
(1.07 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
I assume the correct sequence is to configure the motors in the wizard, save the settings, then turn off the Acorn board, and turn off the Centroid software, then restart the computer, the Acorn board, and finally Centroid CNC.

I also noticed that after starting Centroid CNC, clicking 'Reset' and then Cycle Start that X & Y are not zeroed. I am homing manually, as I am still not comfortable with movement generated by Centroid.

Although I am extremely concerned about unpairing an axis, i.e. that should never happen as that is a hardware configuration, I am hopeful I can eventually get there.
report_3403DE6064C2-0325191813_2019-05-11_15-28-42.zip
report_3403DE6064C2-0325191813_2019-05-11_15-38-46.zip
(238.43 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Last edited by ArtG on Thu May 16, 2019 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

ArtG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:03 am I have a new installation on a fairly new CNC Router. I had been running Mach4 and finally got frustrated with the jumps while cutting parts. Please note this is a fairly new machine, that started as an Open Builds OX. I started some upgrades and eventually built a new CNC. It is using 600oz. inch NEMA 23 steppers from Corvetteguy on YouTube. Noisey but they are good. Ball Screw transmission with HiWinn linear rail. My motor drive is a Gecko G540 that use to connect to a Win7 32-bit computer. the Y axis has 2 steppers so the A axis is always paired with Y.

I am using an older Dell I5 desktop computer that came off lease and was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
I had installed and partially configured Acorn 12CNC but never connected to the CNC as I had to make a larger enclosure for the controls with the addition of the Acorn board. I had made some senior moments setting up the computer (Auto Windows update, and configuring the ethernet port) installing the AcornCNC software, and decided that if I haven't connected it to the CNC to start from scratch. I uninstalled and deleted the CNCM directory, restarted the computer and installed Centroid CNC12 4.14

I noticed that while the install went fine, I do not recall that the Acorn board bios was updated.
Is there a way to tell if I have the correct bios version?

I am now into setting the motors and discovered that specific event un-pair the Y axis.
I will be going through my setup and configuration again this weekend, but I am noticing some very erratic behavior.

While setting up the overall turns ratio, I found that every time I went enter MDI code that my system un-paired the Y axis.

I assume the correct sequence is to configure the motors in the wizard, save the settings, then turn off the Acorn board, and turn off the Centroid software, then restart the computer, the Acorn board, and finally Centroid CNC.

I also noticed that after starting Centroid CNC, clicking 'Reset' and then Cycle Start that X & Y are not zeroed. I am homingmanually, as I am still not comfortable with movement generated by Centroid.

Although I am extremely concerned about unpairing an axis, i.e. that should never happen as that is a hardware configuration, I am hopeful I can eventually get there.
report_3403DE6064C2-0325191813_2019-05-11_15-28-42.zip
From the main screen press F1 setup. What version does it say is running?
You did not attach your Report. When you create a message, below the box and below the Save Draft Preview Submit buttons there are two tabs, one is Options and the other is Attachments. Click on Attachments , then click on teh Add Files button and point it to your report file.

Do you have the PRO version of the software? Or when you press F1 Setup does it say ACORN FREE? You need the Pro License for software pairing.
https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... oller.html

Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ArtG

Post by ArtG »

I figured out how to add my report file. So I edited my initial message to include my report.

My initial screen has the correct version displayed. Acorn CNC12 4.14
Acorn Free as I haven't invested additional $ until I can get this running. I am real concerned about the un-pairing of the Y axis.

Sorry, just re-read your response Marty. I have to invest in the PRO version to pair an AXIS. How did I miss that So I need to spend another $140 to see if this will work on my system?
Last edited by ArtG on Thu May 16, 2019 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

ArtG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:40 am I figured out how to add my report file. So I edited my initial message to include my report.

My initial screen has the correct version displayed. Acorn CNC12 4.14
Acorn Free as I haven't invested additional $ until I can get this running. I am real concerned about the un-pairing of the Y axis.
Software pairing works in Pro. Not sure what your concern is, but it works...
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
ArtG

Post by ArtG »

Ok Marty,
I will purchase Pro Mill and let everyone know. Thanks for pointing out what I was missing.

I guess the limitation should have been defined a little better. The focal point seems to be on the Gcode file size limitation.

Art
cnckeith

Post by cnckeith »

ArtG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:08 am Ok Marty,
I will purchase Pro Mill and let everyone know. Thanks for pointing out what I was missing.

I guess the limitation should have been defined a little better. The focal point seems to be on the Gcode file size limitation.

Art
Hello! fyi..you can Hardware Pair axis with Free.
the differences between Free, Pro and DIg bundle are clearly indicated on the Acorn web page in the comparison table.
pairing.PNG