GBCues
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: noneC120192
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Re: Who is up and running on CNC12 4.14?

Post by GBCues »

Hi Marty and all,
I upgraded my lathe software last night and my mill today.
Each took 20-30 minutes and no problems were encountered.
Thanks
Gary
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

GBCues wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:23 pm Hi Marty and all,
I upgraded my lathe software last night and my mill today.
Each took 20-30 minutes and no problems were encountered.
Thanks
Gary
Thanks for the report back Gary!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
DY10CNC

Post by DY10CNC »

Hello Marty,
Updated last week - no problems - just a few niggles to iron out.

Like the changes to the MDI setup - ie visible list of recent command, and display of active G codes.
I use MDI a lot for simple operations, this makes the MDI even better - one anomaly is that although my Acorn controller is set to metric, MDI still displays G20 as an active G code. Is it possible there is is a macro i can't find which controls this display?

I really like the Acorn controller - this updated makes it even better.

Here are few details about my machine and a current report

My mill is a converted Series 1 Bridgeport (mid 1980's)

I have a quality table ball screw kit from USA on the X & Y axes and 2505 Chinese ball screw on the Z axis

HSS86 Hybrid Servo Driver + NEMA34 Closed-Loop High Speed Stepper Servo Motor 12Nm 1600 oz.inch on each axis , which work well.
(The motors and drivers look rather like a similarly named Leadshine product...)

report_9884E398E0A3-1026170196_2019-03-28_19-09-01.zip

Edward
I can't see the forest for the trees, should read "I can't see trees when I'm in the forest"

Edward
tblough
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: 100505
7804732B977B-0624192192

Post by tblough »

Edward - even though you've configured your control for metric, you can still run programs in either metric or imperial units. The G20/21 is a modal command and it only affects programs and not the machine units and vice versa.

As soon as you enter a G21 command either from a program or via MDI, it will change on the active G-code display and remain until a G20 command is issued.

As a good practice you should have a "safety" line at the beginning where you make sure you've set incremental/ABS turned off cutter and length comp, cancelled canned cycles, and set the correct units, etc.
Cheers,

Tom
Confidence is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are where they should be.
DY10CNC

Post by DY10CNC »

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your input concerning modal codes, and the ability to switch between inch & metric input using G20 and G21

My issue really concerns the fact that in CNC 12 4.14 MDI screen, G20 appears as the active code which has not proved to be the case.

As stated my Acorn controller is configured in metric units but the MDI modal code shows as G20, so I expect that if I enter G90 GO X1, the axis to move 1 inch; however the axis moves 1mm.

From this I deduce that what is displayed as the current "units" code is incorrect.

If I enter G90 G20 X1 the axis move 25.4mm ie 1 inch.

If G90 G21 X1 is entered, G21 appears in the list of active codes, until CNC 12 is closed and restarted, the MDI display indicates G20 is active, but inputting G90 X1 now only moves the axis 1mm, so the anomaly does exist.

I have tried this several times with same outcome.

I suspect that this only occurs when the controller is set to default to Metric units.
The screen shot below illustrates the point.

Has any one else noticed this?
D.PNG
Look forward to some answers...

Edward
I can't see the forest for the trees, should read "I can't see trees when I'm in the forest"

Edward
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

thanks, well good news is it looks like it has no effect on performance. when cnc12 is set to (mm) and then when you issue a g1 it defaults to (mm's) and moves in (mm's) even though the active g codes is displaying a G20 as active.. looks like a typo in active gcodes to me and i'll have the guys fix it in 4.16. :D if it bugs you, turn off Active G codes. :shock:
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
DY10CNC

Post by DY10CNC »

Hello Keith,

Thanks - No it does not bug me - Just thought I'd check if it was me there is a small anomaly.

I think the improvements in MDI and other features of 4.14, are well worth living with a typo until 4.16 launches.

Edward

Edward
cnckeith
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

Edward, Hello. roger that.. just joking around..:-) we fixed it already and the fix will be in the upcoming v4.16 release. thanks for pointing it out! :)
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
Maker1970

Post by Maker1970 »

Have to say that i'm impressed. I didn't do an older version upgrade. I installed the latest board version and software as an upgrade from Mach3. Other than a couple hiccups due to looking without seeing, it went well. I installed Clint's tool touch off macro and connected my spindle vfd just fine. The amount of documentation available for us hacks....um. DIYers is impressive. Forum people are great. and my first test was flawless.

20190410_112524.jpg

I noticed a huge difference in how much smoother the machine was from running Mach3. There are lots of lines of code doing 3D carvings and this controller was very smooth. This is a big deal as my machine structure is made entirely from wood.

I'm going to be building 2 more smaller machines soon and I will be using this controller for sure. I may even try adding and ATC.
Maker1970

"You lie to your friends, and I'll lie to mine. Let's not lie to each other"
martyscncgarage

Post by martyscncgarage »

Maker1970 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:49 pm Have to say that i'm impressed. I didn't do an older version upgrade. I installed the latest board version and software as an upgrade from Mach3. Other than a couple hiccups due to looking without seeing, it went well. I installed Clint's tool touch off macro and connected my spindle vfd just fine. The amount of documentation available for us hacks....um. DIYers is impressive. Forum people are great. and my first test was flawless.

20190410_112524.jpg

I noticed a huge difference in how much smoother the machine was from running Mach3. There are lots of lines of code doing 3D carvings and this controller was very smooth. This is a big deal as my machine structure is made entirely from wood.

I'm going to be building 2 more smaller machines soon and I will be using this controller for sure. I may even try adding and ATC.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ