Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: F045DA798AE4-1119181352
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Mozaik Software

Post by Jrlee »

I am looking for some input. Is anyone using Mozaik Software for their Acorn CNC mill? I have been playing with Fusion 360 but I am concerned about nesting my cabinets with Fusion so have been considering using Mozaik instead. The nesting seems more to my liking. If you are using Mozaik what are you using for Pprocessor? I have all of the parts for my Acorn mill and the table is constructed but now the jobs are extremely limiting my time to complete the mill. Great forum
Jr
cbb1962
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: 38D2695C8301-0122180576

Re: Mozaik Software

Post by cbb1962 »

What did you decide about Mozaik? I am considering using Mozaik to design and build cabinets for my new home. I think they list a Post Processor for Centroid on their website. I've been using F360 for a couple of years and I know it isn't the right tool for the job.
Clint in NW Arkansas

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know...
Jrlee

Post by Jrlee »

Clint I haven't purchased it yet but I will probably within the next week or so. I am hoping to have the build ready for testing by the end of this month so I was hoping to start Mozaik a couple of weeks prior to that. I have been using eCabinets but can't afford a Thermwood, unfortunately, so I hope I have chosen the best option for me. What are using now?
Jr
cbb1962

Post by cbb1962 »

Jr,

I'm using Fusion 360 for practically everything, but with so many amazing cabinet design/CNC programs why should I design individual cabinets in F360 when I can let the software auto-magically do the individual cabinet designs?

Mozaik appears to be one of the most powerful. I've seen people say that say they can start designing a kitchen, a few minutes later render the entire kitchen in 3D and in less than 30 minutes be cutting the entire job on their CNC, to me, that is amazing.

Be sure and ask Mozaik about the Centroid Post Processor. A person on the Acorn FB group told me, via private message, that the company that he works for uses Mozaik and got a Centroid PP for a new machine and the PP was screwed up (X and Y axis flipped) and now they want money to fix it. With that said, the Mozaik website says that they provide PPs for free, so just be aware of this. Even with their PP issue when I told him about the $375 for three months cost, he said absolutely to go with Mozaik.

The general consensus is that Mozaik software is amazing, tech support kind of sucks. But I have wasted $375 before, and I'm willing to bet $375 that I can make it work for me within 3 months.

Clint
Clint in NW Arkansas

Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

cbb1962 If you are just doing a one off Kitchen, I can help you with the files. I have a home made system using excel for all the calculations and I go from nothing to cabinet cutting in about one minute. Buying and learning a software for one job is kind of overkill.
Ken
cbb1962

Post by cbb1962 »

Ken Rychlik wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 am cbb1962 If you are just doing a one off Kitchen, I can help you with the files. I have a home made system using excel for all the calculations and I go from nothing to cabinet cutting in about one minute. Buying and learning a software for one job is kind of overkill.
Thanks Ken! I really appreciate it. Part of the appeal of Mozaik is the ability to show my wife the 3D rendering, she needs the visual feedback, and will undoubtedly make many changes. She loves to play the "what if you changed this..." game. :D Plus there are vanities, closets, and various built-ins to design.

You are in SW Houston? I have bought a used machine in Clute that I'll be picking up in a few weeks. viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1852#p12378 The controller is shot so I'll be upgrading it to an Acorn. Maybe we can meet when I am there, I'd love to see your shop.

Clint
Clint in NW Arkansas

Ken Rychlik
CNC Control System Serial Number: 80F5B5B92C3A-0213236854

Post by Ken Rychlik »

hmm... I have centroid controller I won't be using anymore. Maybe you should visit. I eneded up buying a machine running wincnc and won't be needing or using the acorn.
Ken
Jrlee

Post by Jrlee »

Clint & Ken, thanks for the input. I have been trying to learn F360 for almost a year now and hoping that the nesting ability would be significantly improved. But unless I am missing something, there is way too many keystrokes to accomplish that in F360. After looking at a lot of cabinet SW I decided to give Mozaik a try. I have been building my router from scratch, thought from the start I might be better buying an old machine and rebuilding it. I probably should have stayed with that thought and proceeded. Now I am working on getting the X carriage going and hoping to have it running in a few weeks. Just finished a kitchen so now I can get back into the CNC. My biggest concern now is learning how to set up the jobs and tooling once it is running as I don't have any experience with that. Clint when are you thinking of making the purchase? I will update this thread when I make the purchase and get to designing. I too thought that watching the Mozaik videos that I should be able to get a kitchen designed in a short time.
I am thinking it might even be faster than eCabinets.
Jr
https://leecabinets.com
cbb1962

Post by cbb1962 »

Jrlee wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:11 pm Clint when are you thinking of making the purchase?
It will probably be 6-9 months before I start with Mozaik.
Clint in NW Arkansas

Maker1970
CNC Control System Serial Number: none

Post by Maker1970 »

Jrlee wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:47 pm I am looking for some input. Is anyone using Mozaik Software for their Acorn CNC mill? I have been playing with Fusion 360 but I am concerned about nesting my cabinets with Fusion so have been considering using Mozaik instead. The nesting seems more to my liking. If you are using Mozaik what are you using for Pprocessor? I have all of the parts for my Acorn mill and the table is constructed but now the jobs are extremely limiting my time to complete the mill. Great forum
Jr
I have been using Mozaik for a couple years now and love it. As for the post, they gave me a very generic post for Mach 3 and I'm pretty sure that it will work fine for Acorn. I have played around with a couple posts from Vcarve and they have all worked. I have not done a cabinet job since the change though. Do you build cabinets currently or are you hoping to start up?
Maker1970

"You lie to your friends, and I'll lie to mine. Let's not lie to each other"