Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Great forum with great people

Post by Richards »

In October, I saw a video on YouTube from NYCCNC about a TinyG board. I bought one. I didn't like the idea of needing an Internet connection to run Chilipeppr, but it started me experimenting again with CNC ideas. When I looked for more information on YouTube, I kept seeing videos about an ACORN board. Something clicked and I searched for Gary Campbell. Sure enough, he had posted several videos about an ACORN project. I watched those videos and then others by Marty and Franco and CNCKeith. It seemed that they had nothing but praise for Centroid and the ACORN board. I went to the Centroid website and finally saw that for $300 I could buy the board. After I opened the box, I had a motor spinning within an hour. I went to bed that night satisfied that I had stumbled on to one of the greatest bargains of my life - then long before dawn, I suddenly woke up and realized that I couldn't remember seeing any way of setting acceleration and deceleration. A quick email to Gary Campbell got the answer when he told me how acceleration and deceleration was handled by Centroid. (Gary and I go way back. He's someone that I've follow for years. Just a few days ago, he posted a photo on another thread that showed how carefully he builds controllers. I noticed that he makes his own cables for the Teknic IPC-5 power supply and that everything was properly fused with a circuit breaker for the entire box, one for the IPC-5 and one for the power supply that ACORN supplies.) Thanks Gary.

Franco posted many videos that show how he uses ACORN. His videos are very instructional. His video showing the differences between two stepper motors and a DMM servo was one of the reasons that I ordered a DYN4 driver and a NEMA 34 motor from
DMM. I learned a lot from him. Thanks Franco.

Marty's videos are exceptionally good. His clear way of teaching is exactly what I need. I was re-watching one of his videos about DMM when I noticed that some of the comments to that video were fairly recent. I stopped the video and wrote a comment that included a question.Then I finished watching the video. Towards the end of the video, he encouraged viewers to ask questions on the Centroid Forum instead of in the comment area of a video. Once again I realized that I should have watched the whole video before asking a question. On another thread about Line Reactors, he answered my question by asking probing questions. HIS questions to me answered my question to him. It was refreshing to be tutored that way. Thanks Marty.

CNCKeith's videos are excellent. His enthusiasm is contagious. By watching his videos, I can plainly see that Centroid products will take me as far as my imagination allows. Thanks Keith.

This looks like a great community with people who really try to help others. Having this kind of forum makes it possible for people to have the courage to dive in and build their own controllers.
-Mike Richards
Reedfirst
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Re: Great forum with great people

Post by Reedfirst »

This is by far one of the best forums I participate in.
Dave_C
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No

Post by Dave_C »

This is by far one of the best forums I participate in.
It is!

However with Keith, Gary, Marty and Franco at the helm, the rest of us can go get a cup of coffee and stop worrying about trying to help. I mean really , what's the point?

Dave C.
Grizzly G0678 Mill ,CNC conversion with Acorn. G4004G Lathe, Mach 3 conversion to Acorn.
martyscncgarage
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by martyscncgarage »

Thanks for the positive comments!

WE collectively help each other out. We all have our weak and strong points. WE can learn from each other. That's why its so important to ask all the questions here. If we go one on one, only that user gets the benefit of an anwer. If they are posted here, everyone gets the benefit of the answer including future users who plug in key words into the search box.

Spreading the word, posting pictures and videos in the SUCCESS STORIES forum will help.

What drew me to Centroid was their postive attitude, willingness to help within reason, and the fact that they dove back into the step and direction market and provide both the hardware AND the software backed by over 30 years of CNC Machine control experience. I have had the privilege of meeting some of the Centroid staff, and I can honestly tell you, they are sharp and care about what they do. They are adjusting to a bunch like us. :D

Further, Centroid is ACTIVELY improving their software and hardware, based on user input. They address any issues, and implement new features.
Centroid Staff also monitor the forum.

I see nothing but good things coming in the future for this end of the market from Centroid. Think about it, the CNC12 software we use with Acorn was derived from the same software that drives Centroid's A590 5 axis machining center!

Regards and Happy Holidays to everyone,
Marty

https://youtu.be/Ez20PFZyjBk
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ