Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

Acorn wireless MPG

Post by bilorn »

I got the MPG running and it was great, for a while, then it stopped working.
The MPG is getting updates on DRO position from Acorn, but no commands are
received by the Acorn. The MPG shows the transmit symbol whenever any button on it is pressed.
Could the transmitter in the MPG be bad?
martyscncgarage
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Re: Acorn wireless MPG

Post by martyscncgarage »

bilorn wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:08 am I got the MPG running and it was great, for a while, then it stopped working.
The MPG is getting updates on DRO position from Acorn, but no commands are
received by the Acorn. The MPG shows the transmit symbol whenever any button on it is pressed.
Could the transmitter in the MPG be bad?
Exactly when did it stop working? What were you doing?
Have you powered everything down, including the MPG and power everything back up?
Try a fresh set of batteries just to be sure?
Marty
Reminder, for support please follow this post: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=383
We can't "SEE" what you see...
Mesa, AZ
cnckeith
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

franco just posted a run down on the wireless mpg. here is the link
https://youtu.be/6QlNmgaS_fk

https://youtu.be/6QlNmgaS_fk
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
bilorn

Post by bilorn »

report_985DAD489356-1005170154_2018-06-05_15-18-55.zip
(177.02 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
It stopped working on power up. I have not tried batteries, but I installed new duracells initially about a week ago.
I've reinstalled 4.12. The MPG receives but doesn't transmit, or Windows isn't receiving. I will go over Windows settings today.
It was really nice for the short time it worked.
I am also working on a Z axis problem. On consecutive holes z goes deeper on each hole, programmed with intercon.
I am including a report zip.
thank you
cnc_smith

Post by cnc_smith »

Please send the Intercon file too.

Dana
Dana

When requesting support, please ALWAYS post a current report.
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
bilorn

Post by bilorn »

test.icn
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
peg-a.icn
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
report_985DAD489356-1005170154_2018-06-06_11-44-25.zip
(177.71 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
I created a test intercon program to just move the z axis up and down 1 inch several times, this program ran fine and maintained z axis position.
Encouraged I wrote another program this one to create 12 .510 holes 1 inch apart 1 inch deep along the y axis, x axis not moved.
Upon running this program, it does the first hole okay but .100 surface clearance was lost as it skimmed surface going to second hole,
going to third hole it cut a groove about .100 deep at which point I aborted. Lucky I'm cutting wood.
Now for the bad part! I decided to use MDI to discover how much error had occured, as soon as I pressed the MDI button the y axis started to move
at about 15 inches/minute and continued until Estop was pressed. Restarted cnc12 no help. Booted windows no help. When Acorn was powered
down the y axis moved about 10 inches in the positive direction. Tried to home machine but while z axis was homing, y axis was also moving
slowly and rather irregularly. I am going to check power supplies once again, and then scope the step outputs. Weird scenes inside the coal mine!
martyscncgarage

bilorn wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:40 pm test.icn
peg-a.icn
report_985DAD489356-1005170154_2018-06-06_11-44-25.zip
I created a test intercon program to just move the z axis up and down 1 inch several times, this program ran fine and maintained z axis position.
Encouraged I wrote another program this one to create 12 .510 holes 1 inch apart 1 inch deep along the y axis, x axis not moved.
Upon running this program, it does the first hole okay but .100 surface clearance was lost as it skimmed surface going to second hole,
going to third hole it cut a groove about .100 deep at which point I aborted. Lucky I'm cutting wood.
Now for the bad part! I decided to use MDI to discover how much error had occured, as soon as I pressed the MDI button the y axis started to move
at about 15 inches/minute and continued until Estop was pressed. Restarted cnc12 no help. Booted windows no help. When Acorn was powered
down the y axis moved about 10 inches in the positive direction. Tried to home machine but while z axis was homing, y axis was also moving
slowly and rather irregularly. I am going to check power supplies once again, and then scope the step outputs. Weird scenes inside the coal mine!
You say Acorn was powered down and the Y axis moved in the positive direction. You have noise getting into your axis motor drives.
Describe the machine and the drives and motors you are using. Do you have a VFD connected? Was it on? Pictures and description please.
Marty
Mesa, AZ
bilorn

Post by bilorn »

The vfd was powered with the spindle off.
I'm thinking something has been going south for a while, I am using a wallwart 5volt supply, a good one, regulated.
After checking that and the 24v supply, I'll scope supplies and step and dir outputs with and without vfd, spindle on and off.
This is so discouraging, up to this point everything has worked as expected, rather rare on a project such as this.
I am pretty certain it is a noise problem as you are. I have individual filters on both motor and control AC ins. going to servos
but no to the vfd. 220 to the vfd 110 to the servos. The vfd doesn't have an ac filter yet!
At least I'm gettin sum xercise, my shop is down hill from the house bout 100 feet, no internet.
martyscncgarage

bilorn wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:17 pm The vfd was powered with the spindle off.
I'm thinking something has been going south for a while, I am using a wallwart 5volt supply, a good one, regulated.
After checking that and the 24v supply, I'll scope supplies and step and dir outputs with and without vfd, spindle on and off.
This is so discouraging, up to this point everything has worked as expected, rather rare on a project such as this.
I am pretty certain it is a noise problem as you are. I have individual filters on both motor and control AC ins. going to servos
but no to the vfd. 220 to the vfd 110 to the servos. The vfd doesn't have an ac filter yet!
At least I'm gettin sum xercise, my shop is down hill from the house bout 100 feet, no internet.
I have had a couple of experience with the VFD's creating noise and doing "ghostly" things on a CNC machine.
You might shut down the VFD and cut air.
I assume all grounds are tied back to one common point?

Keep us posted. Good luck!
Marty
Mesa, AZ
bilorn

Post by bilorn »

All AC is star grounded. When scoping the y axis step output noted that when wires were moved the y would move slightly.
Reterminated all step direction and enable signals.
While wiggling wires again the same thing happened and once the y axis started running, had to power down acorn to stop it.
I am suspecting a cold solder joint on the Acorn connector.
Next I will remove Acorn and inspect, possibly reflow the connector pins.
All of this happened with the vfd not powered.
It isn't looking good.