So, something happened between bench and machine...

All things related to the Centroid Acorn CNC Controller

Moderator: cnckeith

friolator
Acorn CNC Controller: Yes
Plasma CNC Controller: No
AcornSix CNC Controller: No
Allin1DC CNC Controller: No
Hickory CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: No
CNC Control System Serial Number: none
DC3IOB: No
CNC12: Yes
CNC11: No
CPU10 or CPU7: No

So, something happened between bench and machine...

Post by friolator »

First, I'm running 5.08 still - I will be upgrading to the 5.1 beta soon, but I just want to get the basics working first.

I tested the X and Z stepper motors for my lathe individually on the bench and they worked fine. That was about a month ago. I now have everything wired up in the machine, but I'm unable to make them go. To simplify things, I disconnected the X motor and am just testing the Z, but both exhibit the same behavior. I have things set up like this:

The Stepper drivers are StepperOnline CL57Y. I have them set to 1600 steps/rev, and have the wizard configured to match that.

Acorn H2:
  • ST1: Z Step (wired to driver PU-)
    ST2: Z Direction (wired to driver DR-)
    ST3: Z Enable (wired to driver MF-)
Acorn H4:
  • IN1: Z Home Switch (wired to mechanical Z home switch, NC)
    IN3: Z Driver Alarm (wired to driver ALM-)
The Driver PU+, DR+, MF+, ALM+ and the other end of the home switch circuit are all wired to Acorn 24V

I have the Z Home, X Home, Z Alarm, and X Alarm all wired to their own inputs, because I have space to do that and I'd rather have the granularity of knowing which one is triggered, for testing. The home switches work as expected, confirmed in PLC diagnostic window.

I have traced all wires (encoder and motor) from the motor and verified that they're in the correct positions on the driver. I get no Alarms on the driver (the driver has an alarm LED and tells you what any issue is via a blink pattern. but it's not on at all, thus no driver-level errors).

The driver DIP settings have an alarm polarity option (OFF is NO, ON is NC). I have tried both settings.

-When I hit the home button with the Alarm polarity in the OFF/NO position, CNC12 aborts homing with a driver alarm error, which makes sense.
-When I hit the home button with the Alarm polarity in the ON/NC position, CNC12 thinks the motor is spinning (DRO is updating), but there is no motion. PLC Diagnostics show this input as red though, even though it appears to work.

It's also probably worth noting that on the Acorn, the LEDs next to EN1 and EN2 are lit green by default. When it tried to home they go red (disabling the motor?). I unchecked the checkbox in the advanced setting to invert the enable signal, and Enable comes up red by default now and switches to green when it tries to home, but the motor still doesn't spin.

So there are two things I'm confused about here:

1) Why is the PLC diagnostic window showing the Alarm state as red, regardless of whether the driver is set to NO or NC output? It seems that when the driver is set to NC, Acorn thinks there's no alarm, but it's still showing as being an open circuit (red) in the PLC Diagnostic window.

2)What might cause the motors to not spin, even if Acorn is indicating that the motor is enabled, and the DRO is behaving like the motor is moving? Yes, the driver has power, and yes, everything is connected and wired as it's supposed to be.
Houseman303
Acorn CNC Controller: No
Oak CNC controller: Yes
CNC Control System Serial Number: A901313

Re: So, something happened between bench and machine...

Post by Houseman303 »

1) Why is the PLC diagnostic window showing the Alarm state as red, regardless of whether the driver is set to NO or NC output? It seems that when the driver is set to NC, Acorn thinks there's no alarm, but it's still showing as being an open circuit (red) in the PLC Diagnostic window.
green is activ, is the switch nc, green light is on
friolator

Post by friolator »

Green indicates that the circuit is closed. So if the driver's Alarm signal is set to normally closed, the indicator should be green until an alarm is triggered.

So, why is the PLC diagnostic showing it as red, regardless of the setting for the alarm output on the driver (NC or NO)? Also, the behavior is different depending on the state of the driver:

• If the Driver is set to NC, then Acorn is acting like there's no alarm, yet showing red, which indicates an alarm. -- this is the behavior you would expect, but not the light.
• If the Driver is set to NO, then Acorn is acting like there IS an alarm, but the indicator is also red. -- This is the behavior and the light you'd expect

Shouldn't the LED on the board and the PLC diagnostic show green when there is no alarm and red when there is?
cncsnw

Post by cncsnw »

friolater wrote:Acorn H4:
IN1: Z Home Switch (wired to mechanical Z home switch, NC)
IN3: Z Driver Alarm (wired to driver ALM-)
The Driver PU+, DR+, MF+, ALM+ and the other end of the home switch circuit are all wired to Acorn 24V
Acorn PLC inputs are current-sourcing. This means that you have +24VDC wired to the inputs bank common on the Acorn board, and any input device you connect needs to provide closure to 0VDC.

Therefore you need to connect ALM+ to the Acorn input, and connect ALM- to 0VDC.
You also need to connect the other end of your home switch circuit to 0VDC.
friolator

Post by friolator »

Ahh. Thanks. Ok so I swapped the ALM +/- wires and now it's coming up with the correct lights on PLC diags and on the board. One problem solved. The home switches were already wired correctly, I shouldn't have included it in the list of things connected to +24V in OP, as that was incorrect.

However, neither of my axis motors are turning. When I hit the home button, Acorn acts like it's moving the Z axis (DRU is updating), but there's no motion on the motor.

It is wired as shown here: https://www.centroidcnc.com/dealersuppo ... 034.r2.pdf

there are no alarm states showing on the drivers, or on the Acorn, it just isn't spinning the motors. My configuration is based on the STEPPERONLINE CL57Y preset configuration, modified to match the steps/rev settings on my driver (1600), and modified to add the home and alarm inputs. No other changes were made. And to confirm that I threw out the configuration I was using and did it again just now. I also tried the Bench Test (Screw Terminal) preset configuration, and I get the same results.
friolator

Post by friolator »

Here's a report, if that helps.
cnckeith
Allin1DC CNC Controller: Yes
Oak CNC controller: Yes
DC3IOB: Yes
CNC11: Yes
CPU10 or CPU7: Yes

Post by cnckeith »

v5.1 is not a beta anymore :-)
Need support? READ THIS POST first. http://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=1043
All Acorn Documentation is located here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=3397
Answers to common questions: viewforum.php?f=63
and here viewforum.php?f=61
Gear we use but don't sell. https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_di ... _gear.html
friolator

Post by friolator »

Ok, I got this working. It was, um, operator error. Basically, after bench testing I made up some DB9 connectors that will live underneath the slant bed for the lathe (it's a small Sherline lathe) so that I can easily remove it if I ever need to. I screwed up the wiring in one end of the DB9 connectors. Thankfully I used screw terminal adapters so it was fairly straightforward to trace them back. Everything was fine from the connector to the driver, the issue was the short cable from the motor to that DB9 connector.

On to the spindle...
ShawnM
CNC Control System Serial Number: 7804734C6498-0401191832

Post by ShawnM »

friolator wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:03 pm Ok, I got this working. It was, um, operator error.
It usually is. :mrgreen:

Glad you got that sorted out.